WordPress Developer Resume
"“There are three responses to a piece of design – yes, no, and WOW! Wow is the one to aim for.""
WordPress Developer Resume – Samples & How-To Guide
If you are fascinated with the behind the scenes magic for designing and developing websites, a career as a WordPress developer may be the right fit for you! WordPress developers are creative, technical and collaborative roles typically employed full-time within a graphic design team in an office setting for the following types of companies to design and create websites for any industry:
- Design and Marketing Firms
- Graphic Design Agencies
- Computer Systems Design Companies
- Web Design Consulting Firms (Digital and Non-Digital)
- Web Hosting Companies
- Self-Employed or Freelancer
The primary focus of a WordPress developer is to work with clients to conceptualize, design, build, test and implement custom website solutions from its functionality to appearance for both the front and back-end views of the website using WordPress. WordPress is considered a content management system (CMS) application used to write, edit and/or publish content to a website using programming languages – the four you want to make sure you are familiar with include (but not limited to):
HTML – HTML is the universal language of the web. Each website page you access on the internet that contains content is marked up with a version of HTML.
CSS – CSS is another language that works with HTML to style and control the appearance of website pages, giving it a certain look and feel.
PHP – PHP is a language that runs WordPress on the platform or machine that hosts the website, called a web server. This is a key programming language to understand for WordPress.
A WordPress developer role is often categorized as a web developer role in general. The great news is that web developer jobs such as a WordPress developer are expected to increase by 13% from 2018 – 2028, generating an additional 20,900 jobs according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
WordPress Developer Education & Certifications
Educational requirements for WordPress developer roles can range from a high school diploma to a bachelor’s degree from a technical college or university. This can largely depend on the type of company, clientele and technical skills required for the job.
If seeking a degree from a college or university, the most common degree obtained by WordPress developers are in web design, programming or computer science to further prepare you for the expectations of the role. It’s highly advised that you at a minimum complete WordPress training and/or technical programs that cover the three primary areas for this role to ensure you have the proper knowledge and skillset for these daily responsibilities:
- Theme developer
- Plugin developer
- Content manager
WordPress Developer Work Experience & Resume
A skilled WordPress developer will be expected to have previous work and/or volunteer experience reflecting your abilities in web design or programming. Depending on your experience level, you will want to structure your resume to begin with a strong resume objective or summary of your experience and skillset to peak interest and set the tone for your overall resume.
When framing your past related work, volunteer and/or educational experience, be sure to start with your most recent experience and highlight between 3 to 5 of your achievements that are related to the scope of work you are seeking in the position (i.e. overall responsibilities, recognitions, awards, etc…) to reflect your abilities and strengths as a highly skilled addition to the design team you are looking to join.
Taking into consideration that this role is typically client-facing, you will also want to highlight any customer service experience you have that would be applicable. Enhancing the customer experience is a primary goal when developing websites for clients and end-users.
When factoring in all the general duties and expectations of a WordPress developer, your resume should highlight your strong creative, analytical, technical and time management skills.
Writing a resume as a WordPress developer is tough. If you can’t create a resume as optimized and beautiful as the websites you make, it may be worth investing in resume writing services to give your resume an extra boost
- Client Experience (CX)
- Process Improvements
- Project Management (Agile)
- Time Management
- Detail Oriented
- Ability to work independently or in teams
- Oral and Written Communication
- Complying with Protocols and Standards
- Goal Setting
- Web Development
- WordPress Theme and Plug-In
- SEO Knowledge
- Strategic Thinking
- Google Analytics
WordPress Developer Interview Process:
The interview process is the platform for you to showcase your experience and skills and express your added interest in the role. It is highly recommended that you do your due diligence and research the company and role further before your scheduled interview. This will help you maintain a competitive advantage against other potential candidates during the interview process as you will be more equipped with additional knowledge and insights about the company and its client base to tailor your answers.
For your interview, you should also be prepared to answer interview questions specific to the WordPress Developer field:
- Can you show us examples of your work? What WordPress site’s have you created and what was your contribution to them?
- Tell me about a time when you had to take a risk to make sure you completed a task you were assigned by a specific deadline? What was your thought process when assessing the risk?
- What programming languages do you have the most experience using?
- Besides WordPress, do you know other website designer platforms such as Wix?
Come prepared with 3 – 5 general interview questions to learn more about the expectations of the role and to further express your enthusiasm and interest as a WordPress developer.
Regardless if you have past related work experience as a WordPress developer, always remember to present yourself in a professional manner and clearly communicate and market your skills and qualifications.
Here’s the text version of the sample resume:
123 Main Street, Los Angeles, CA 90001
Home: (123) 456-7890 | Cell: (123) 456-7890
- Design complex WordPress solutions for back-end and front-end development to establish and guide website architecture and functionality
- Collaborate with clients to develop site-map guidelines and requirements to capture content, features and functionality for site development efforts
- Develop custom mobile-friendly WordPress templates and themes to align with site design and branding for clients
- Formulated and developed effective and responsive user interfaces for Fortune 500 company websites and web applications to streamline and optimize the user experience
- Spearheaded content management system (CMS) process improvements to maintain high performance and availability of technical components to support clients
- Supervised and trained 5 WordPress developer interns in theme development, plug-in development and content management
West Los Angeles Technical College
GPA – 3.4
At the end of the day, if you are struggling to write your WordPress developer resume, it may be beneficial to go with our resume writing services. We can improve or completely rewrite your resume so that it can guarantee you more job interviews.