5 Best Resume Writing Services in 2021
It’s easy to go online and find dozens of resume writing services to choose from. What’s truly hard though is picking the best resume service for you that will get the job done right.
Our team of job search experts (which includes professional resume writers, hiring mangers, and Fortune 500 recruiters) has reviewed over 50 of the top resume writing services in the US and Canada in order to put together this list of the best 5 resume services to consider. Here are our picks:
The 5 Best Resume Writing Services
- Pricing: $199-$399
- Turnaround time: Customized
- Writer Count: 40+
- Unique Features: Conducts their own resume research, offers a money back guarantee, emphasizes ATS optimization + LinkedIn
You didn’t seriously think we were going to include a list of the top resume services out there and not put ourselves first now right? While our team is totally bias here, it’s not without merit.
ResumeGo uses a data-driven approach to ensure that your resume performs well with both hiring managers AND applicant tracking systems. Their resume approach stems from the resume research and surveys they conduct as a company, which has been covered from top media outlets such as Forbes, US News, CNBC, Wall Street Journal, and other sites. This makes them one of the more reputable resume services in the industry despite not being the largest.
Pros of using ResumeGo:
- Money Back Guarantee – ResumeGo offers a money back guarantee policy where clients are given a full refund up until the point they receive their resume. Even after the resume is completed, clients are still entitled to partial refund, making ResumeGo one of the most risk-free services to try.
- Top of the line writers – ResumeGo only brings abroad the top-of-the-line writers to join their team. They’re writers are all based in US or Canada and are vetted to ensure the best quality of work possible.
- Phone Consultation – While most resume services on this list allow you to communicate with their writers directly via email, ResumeGo’s process also includes an initial phone consultation to go over the needs of their clients
- Unlimited Revisions – Along with other resume services, ResumeGo has a 14-day unlimited revision policy
- Pricing: $199-$399
- Turnaround time: 4-5 days
- Writer Count: Unknown
- Unique Features: One of the longest lasting resume services, has a separate Federal & Military package
CareerPerfect has been around for more than 20 years now and offers their resume services in the form of 4 separate options to choose from: Student &Entry Level, Professional & Mid-Career, Executive, and Federal & Military.
With so much experience under their belt, this service has helped many job seekers advance their careers. Their team is also made up of only US-based writers with at least a 4-year degree. Their company is also a part of the National Employment Counseling Association and has a heavier focus on other aspects of the job search process besides just resume writing.
If you need free career planning tests or career planning advice, Career Perfect likely beats out on most other resume services on the list that specialize on just resume writing.
Pros of using CareerPerfect:
- Editing Service – They offer a resume editing service as well that many other resume services don’t have as an option
- Free InterviewSmart Software – When working with CareerPerfect you are automatically given a free trial version of their leading interview-coaching program that goes over strategies for preparing for your job interview
- Lifetime Storage – Your job documents are stored in a personalized resume writing center
3. Resume Writing Services
- Pricing: $270
- Turnaround time: 1 Week
- Writer Count: 20+
- Unique Features: Hires less than 1% of resume services, smallest resume service listed
Resume Writing Services is one of the smaller online companies on the list. It’s also where their strength lies. Resume Writing Services hires less than 1% of the resume writers who apply to their company, ensuring that only the best of the best get to join their team.
Their services are also packaged far more simplistically and only has 1 option: their main resume package. Those who would like a LinkedIn profile, cover letter, thank you letter, and interview prep can add these features onto their package as well – making their service option probably the most flexible and easy-to-roll-with offer available among the 5 services listed.
Pros of using Resume Writing Services:
- Consolidated writing team – As mentioned previously, Resume Writing Services is the smallest resume company on our list. This gives them the ability to only hire the best of the best writers to join their team. A potential downside to having such a small team is that you may not get a writer who specializes specifically in your field if you are in a less popular industry.
- Unlimited Revisions – Along with other resume services, they offer unlimited revisions (though they don’t specify the duration of it)
- Modern approach – Having only been founded a couple years ago, they have a more modern and up-to-date approach with handling applicant tracking systems and formatting their resumes.
- Pricing: $179-$349
- Turnaround time: 7 to 14 days
- Writer Count: 1,500+
- Unique Features: Has a monthly payment option, 60-Day Guarantee, free resume review
No list is complete without mentioning one of the largest resume services in the US in 2021. TopResume is a very well-established company and has been mentioned on many of the top online media outlets on the web.
They also have a very large team of resume writers, meaning they are the best equipped to match you with a suitable writer that knows your industry – this is especially true if you work in a less popular field (they cover over 65 industries). One of the potential downsides of being such a large company with 1500+ writers is that this may dimmish their hiring standards and quality control.
Similar to ResumeGo, they have 3 resume packages to choose from, starting with their Professional Growth package at $179 and ending with their Executive Priority package at $349.
Pros of using Resume Writing Services:
- Affirm – For job seekers financially struggling, TopResume offers a monthly payment option
- Keyword optimized – As mentioned previously, Resume Writing Services is the smallest resume company on our list. This gives them the ability to only hire the best of the best writers to join their team.
- Formatted for success – True to their name, TopResume emphasizes their strength of formatting their resumes to get employer’s attentions
- 60-Day Guarantee – TopResume has a 60-day guarantee where if you don’t receive 2 times more interviews within 60 days, they will rewrite your resume free-of-charge.
- Pricing: $99-299
- Turnaround time: 3 Business Days
- Writer Count: Unknown
- Unique Features: Has a resume builder, super quick delivery speed, offers other career resources
LiveCareer is a one-stop shop for all career needs and have helped countless job seekers further their careers. While they are primarily a resume builder site that focuses on resume formatting, they do offer resume writing services in the form of 3 main packages: Entry, Professional, and Executive.
LiveCareer’s main headquarter is in New York City, but they have offices around the world making them a more global company than many of the other resume services listed.
Pros of using LiveCareer:
- Fast Delivery – With a 3 business day turnaround, LiveCareer is the fastest service on our list for getting resumes written for job seekers who might have very demanding job application deadlines to meet.
- Versatility – LiveCareer doesn’t just offer resume services, there are ton of career resources on their site that are useful for jobseekers such as resume builders, resume templates, job application tools, career advice articles, and salary calculators.
- 60-Day Guarantee – TopResume has a 60-day guarantee where if you don’t receive 2 times more interviews within 60 days, they will rewrite your resume free-of-charge.
Honorable mentions – along with the 5 resume services listed, here are a list of other services that almost made the list:
- Let’s Eat, Grandma
- Predesigned templates – Resume builders generally come with a lot of different predesigned templates that you can pick from and switch between easily. Resume builders like Zety, ResumeGenius, and LiveCareer all come with over 20 templates that you can easily switch between and use.
- Prewritten examples – Some builders come with prewritten examples of content that can be use to structure your bullet points. They can be used as inspiration to emulate for your your own content, but you’ll have to rewrite everything to make sense for your particular situation.
- Cover letter designs – Along with resume templates, most resume builders also come with cover letter templates as well.
- Downloadable file formats – Some builders allow you to select what file format you want your resume in, whether it’s as a PDF, a Word file (.docx), or as a jpeg / PDF file.
- Professionally written – You have a resume writer write your resume instead of having to write it yourself.
- ATS optimization – Resume services optimize your resume for applicant tracking systems in order to increase your interview chances.
- Recruiter’s touch – Many professional resume writers are also recruiters or ex-recruiters. They’ll know the insider secrets and techniques that’ll allow your resume to perform better than the competition.
- Resume design – While resume builders offer many different resume designs, it’s difficult to actually figure out which one will work best. Having a professional pick out a resume design or template for you can equally if not more advantageous.
If you’re a C-suite executive or work for the government, your resume is going to be structured and written very differently from other resumes. Here are separate lists for the best resume writing services to consider in 2021 if you fit one of these categories:
Questions To Ask When Choosing A Resume Service
It can be mind-boggling just how many variables to consider when choosing a resume service. Quality, pricing, fit, guarantees, turnaround-time. There are many factors involved, and before you fork your hard-earned money over to a service you want to be sure you’re getting the real deal. Here are the 3 most important questions you should be having in the back of your mind:
Is this a well-known, reputable company?
A reputable resume service is going to be mentioned and talked about in major news outlets. For instance, we have a press page where we list out the news outlets where we’ve been featured in – such as The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, US News, Yahoo, CNBC, Huffington Post, etc.
Chances are, if the resume service you’re considering is reputable and featured on the web as well, they’ll be sure to mention it on their website somewhere – so be on the lookout.
Are their professional resume writers qualified?
At the end of the day, you care about quality. To ensure that, the actual person writing your resume has to be qualified. If a resume company doesn’t give some mention of who their writers are and their qualifications, then stay away. Most companies will have a resume writers page. This is where you can get a sense of their backgrounds and their certifications.
What am I getting with my money?
Every resume company is going to package their services a little differently. Some offer guarantees, rewrites, job search guides, LinkedIn makeovers, and all sorts of stuff.
For example, our resume writing service comes with a money back guarantee policy, unlimited revisions for up to 14 days, and a LinkedIn makeover. It’s important to break all these features down yourself so you can figure out exactly what you’re getting with what you pay for.
How much does it cost to have a resume professionally written?
Investing in your career is important, but that doesn’t mean you’ll want to pay more than you have to. To give a sense of price ranges and how much it should cost to use a resume writing service, here’s the quick and easy breakdown:
You should be cautious of resume packages that go for less than $100. But why though?
It’s simple. A single resume takes many hours to write, even for the most efficient writers. A qualified writer with years of experience behind their belt isn’t going to be willing to work for cheap. We’re talking $40-60 per hour minimum. So any service charging less than $100 is likely not hiring qualified writers who are going to be willing to spend the time to making sure your resume is written to perfection.
Between $100 – $500
This is the usually the price range where the best resume services fall into. It’s the industry average and fits into the business models of most resume companies. In fact, pretty much all the resume services we’ve put on our list fit into this price category.
Believe it or not, there are many services that charge over $400 or even over $1000 for a resume. Many of these services write quality resumes, but generally you can get the same quality from services within the $100-400 price range.
There are some unique situations where you might expect to pay more than $400 for a resume. If you’re applying to federal or international job positions where the expectation is to have a 5 page long resume or CV, you should expect to pay these heftier prices.
Signs of a low-quality resume service
There are tons of low-quality resume services all over the place, so it’s going to be super important to learn how to identify them and avoid at all costs. Here’s are 4 ways how:
No one-on-one time with your resume writer
This can’t be stressed up. Resume services that don’t have you communicating one-on-one with your writer over the phone should raise red flags. This is a sign that their writers aren’t confident enough to have a live discussion with you. If they aren’t comfortable talking about what you’ve done, they certainly won’t be comfortable writing about it.
Though not always the case, this also hints that their writers might be based somewhere other than the United States, which is not what you want.
Claims that seem “too good to be true”
There are resume writing services out there who will boast nonsense like “interview guarantee no matter what” or “10x more interviews” or “guaranteed job within 30 days.” Common sense would tell you that these deals are too good to be true, and you know what? – Your common sense would be correct.
While resume services can certainly improve your interview chances and market you as a strong candidate, it’s impossible to guarantee something like interviews and job offers. You’ll need to hire a magician for that!
Extremely low prices
A qualified resume writer with tons of experience isn’t going to be willing work for 10 bucks an hour. Resume services offering resumes for under $100 are likely hiring writers from other countries who don’t have any hiring experience and likely aren’t fluent in English.
For example, you’ll definitely want to avoid getting your resume written on Fiverr, despite what seems like amazingly great deals from them
Of course, a resume company can put whatever they want on their website – meaning these reviews are the easiest to fake. Because it’s also pretty much impossible to confirm if these reviews are real or not, it’s usually best to take them with a grain of salt.
Review lists (like this one)
When it comes to “best of” review articles like the one you’re reading now, the most important thing is to identify the writer’s motives. We’re pretty transparent about who we are as a resume service, but other review lists may not be as honest.
Many sites that review resume services may seem unbiased but are really affiliated with the resume companies they are recommending. The best way to identify if a site is making money off the traffic or sales of the sites they recommend is to hover your mouse over a link and examine the site’s link.
If the link points to shareasale.com (like in the below image), it means the link is an affiliate link and the review is almost certainly biased. You’ll be surprised to find that even super popular sites like CNET use this tactic:
Reviews from third-party review platforms:
There are business review platforms such as Trustpilot, Yelp, Sitejabber, etc. that are set up to allow customers to review any business (including resume services) they want.
The reviews on these platforms are generally more reliable because the companies behind these platforms have taken precautions to prevent fake reviews. In fact, the whole point of these review sites being around in the first place is to provide a level of assurance that the reviews being given for any particular business is real and not faked.
However, this doesn’t mean you should trust these reviews entirely. There are always ways for companies to manipulate which clients leave a review to begin with. For instance, some companies will invite only the customers they know are happy about their service to leave a review for them. While their unhappy customers may not even be made aware this review option even exists to begin with.
How are professional resume writers uniquely qualified to write my resume?
You might be wondering: What makes a professional resume writer a “professional resume writer” to begin with? What are their backgrounds? How are they qualified to write my resume?
Here’s what a qualified resume writer brings to the table:
Many professional resume writers like the ones on our staff have backgrounds as hiring managers, recruiters, and HR professionals. Having this type of background gives them inside knowledge of how the hiring process works. Because they’ve done the hiring, they know what employers are looking for in a resume and from an applicant. Having this inside knowledge allows them to make decisions about how to write a resume that’ll be more informed than if an average joe some wrote it themselves.
Just like how experience helps you get better at just about anything you do, it matters a lot when it comes to writing resumes as well. Professional resume writers are seasoned pros when it comes to all the ins and outs of this whole resume writing thing. There will be nuances when it comes to resume etiquette and tips and tricks to improving your resume that you just won’t be aware of as someone that only deals with resumes once every few years or so.
Resume writers also have the option of getting certified. Some of the most popular resume certification titles include the National Certified Resume Writer credential (NCRW), Academy Certified Resume Writer certification (ACRW), Certified Advanced Resume Writer certification (CARW), and the Certified Public Resume Writer (CPRW) credential.
These certifications require resume writers to take courses in regard to resume writing as well as LinkedIn and cover letter writing. At the end of these courses, there are exams that the resume writers must pass in order to earn their certification.
While working with a resume writer who is certified is definitely a plus, it doesn’t mean that uncertified writers are less qualified to write your resume. In fact, many resume writers are uncertified because they are already working full-time as recruiters or hiring managers and simply don’t need the additional training.
Understanding of applicant tracking systems (ATS)
If you aren’t aware, applicant tracking systems (ATS) are hiring software that employers use to track job applications and grade resumes. If you’re applying to a large company, you can bet that they’ll be using an applicant tracking system to screen and throw out weak applications. In order for your resume to earn a high score from these applicant trackers, you’ll need to tailor your resume specifically for them.
This is where your resume writer’s expertise really shines through. They’ll likely have had experience using these applicant tracking systems themselves, so they are keenly aware of how to game the system and earn your resume a top rank.
At the end of the day, you need to be an exceptional writer to market yourself as an exceptional candidate. Writing isn’t for everyone, and if you know it’s one of your weaknesses, this is another reason to use a resume writer. In fact, many of the resumes that job seekers submit, contain some sort of grammatical error, poor sentence structure, or suboptimal writing techniques.
How to Get the Most From Your Resume-Writing Service
Once you’ve picked the service that’s right for you, it’s important to know what measures to take to get the most out of the resume service what you’ve paid for. Here are 4 ways how:
Gather as much info as possible
Your resume writer can only do as good a job as the information he or she has to work with. Be sure to provide them with a copy of your most recent resume as well as any details that may be missing from it that will be important for the resume writer to know.
Define your career goals
How your writer approaches writing your resume will be heavily dependent on what jobs you’re looking to apply for and what your career goals are. If you already have job positions in mind that you’re going to apply for, send those over to your writer. Let them know if you’re planning on switching careers, applying out-of-state, or anything they might need to know about.
Be open to criticism and new ideas
Chances are, your resume writer is going to approach your resume slightly different than how you would have. This is to be expected, and it’s important to have an open mind when working with your resume writer. Keep in mind there will likely be creative differences in terms of what resume design to use or what font works best.
Resume Builders Vs. Resume Writing Services
Debating between using a resume builder or a resume writing service? These are both very popular resume help options for job seekers, but they have very different functions.
Here are the major benefits of using a resume builder:
Now let’s compare that with the major benefits of using a resume service:
The major difference between resume builders and resume services:
As you should be able to tell now, resume builders and resume writing services are quite different from one another. While resume builders focus on improving the looks of your resume, resume services focus on improving the content of your resume. Though keep in mind, writers do pay careful attention to the aesthetics of your resume as well.
Frequently Asked Questions About Resume Writing Services
Which resume writing service stands out among the field as the best of the best?
The best resume service for you is going to heavily depending on your exact career situation and needs. As detailed above, the 5 resume services we listed – ResumeGo, CareerPerfect, Resume Writing Services, TopResume, and LiveCareer are some of the most reputable services out there in the nation.
Do resume writing services really work?
If you’ve written your own resume in the past and found no problems getting job opportunities, then hiring a resume service may potentially be futile. If your resume is already written to perfection, just because you’ve chosen to have a professional rewrite your resume, doesn’t mean it’ll somehow net you even more interviews than you’ve been getting before.
However, if you think your writing skills won’t do you justice or you’re applying to jobs without any success, these are two indicators that point towards resume writing services being a wise investment.
Do resume services write Curriculum Vitae (CVs) as well?
Yes – if you need a Curriculum vitae (CV) written for you, pretty much all resume services have this covered as well. Keep in mind that CVs come in two different forms. There are CVs for the U.S that are used when applying to education, academic, federal, or some science job positions. There are also international CVs, which is basically the resume equivalent in places like Europe, the Middle East, and certain parts of Asia.
While these two types of CVs are very different from one another, resume professional writers are generally well equipped to writing both these types of job documents if needed. Just keep in mind that some resume services will have a separate order package if you’d like them to write a CV for you as opposed for a resume, so be on a lookout for this when browsing their website.
What is the turnaround time for the average resume service?
Resume writing services usually take around a week or so to complete your resume. If you have a job application that’s due in several days, you’ll likely be cutting it close if you want to use a resume service.
From providing the necessary information for your writer to begin working on your resume, to receiving an initial draft of your resume, to having the final touches added – all of this takes time. This is also why we warn against choosing resume services that are eager to have your resume completed within just a day or two.
Will my resume writer have knowledge of the industry I’m in?
Yes – A seasoned resume expert is going to have past experience working with hundreds of other job seekers. Chances are, they’ll have worked with job seekers from all the major industries such as finance, marketing, accounting, human resources, computer programming, IT, healthcare, medical field, graphic design, retail, entertainment and more. This means they’ll likely be knowledgeable enough about the ins and outs of most industries and professionals to write a solid resume for.
However, if you’re in a less popular industry such as maybe marine biology or wastewater treatment, there is the potential that your resume writer may be out of their league here. So this is something to keep in mind: the less popular the industry and the more uniquely technical your job, the more likely it is for your resume writer to lack the expertise necessary to writing your resume.