5 Best Resume Writing Services in 2022
It’s easy to go online and find dozens of resume writing services to choose from. The hard part is identifying which resume service you can actually trust to get the job done right.
Our team of job search experts (which includes professional resume writers, hiring mangers, and Fortune 500 recruiters) has reviewed over 50 of the top resume writing services in the US and Canada in order to put together this list of the best 5 resume services.
Some of the major factors we considered were resume quality, writer credentials, affordability, and reputation. Read on for our top picks or watch the video below:
The 5 Best Resume Writing Services
- Pricing: $360 – $600
- Turnaround time: Customized
- Writer Count: 40+
- Unique Features: Conducts their own resume research, reputable company, offers a money back guarantee, emphasizes ATS optimization + LinkedIn
ResumeGo uses a data-driven approach to ensure that your resume performs well with both hiring managers AND applicant tracking systems. Their approach stems from the resume research and surveys they conduct as a company, which has been covered from top media outlets such as Forbes, US News, CNBC, Wall Street Journal, and other sites. This makes them one of the more reputable resume services in the industry despite not being the largest.
Pros of using ResumeGo:
- Money Back Guarantee – ResumeGo offers a money back guarantee policy where clients are given a full refund up until the point they receive their resume. Even after the resume is completed, clients are still entitled to partial refund, making ResumeGo one of the most risk-free services to try.
- Top of the line writers – ResumeGo only brings abroad the top-of-the-line writers to join their team. They’re writers are all based in US or Canada and are vetted to ensure the best quality of work possible.
- Phone Consultation – While most resume services on this list allow you to communicate with their writers directly via email, ResumeGo’s process also includes an initial phone consultation to go over the needs of their clients
- Unlimited Revisions – Along with other resume services, ResumeGo has a 14-day unlimited revision policy
2. Resume Writing Services
- Pricing: $270
- Turnaround time: 1 Week
- Writer Count: 20+
- Unique Features: Hires less than 1% of resume services, smallest resume service listed
Resume Writing Services is one of the smaller online companies on the list. It’s also where their strength lies. Resume Writing Services hires less than 1% of the resume writers who apply to their company, ensuring that only the best of the best get to join their team.
Their services are also packaged far more simplistically and only has 1 option: their main resume package. Those who would like a LinkedIn profile, cover letter, thank you letter, and interview prep can add these features onto their package as well – making their service option probably the most flexible and easy-to-roll-with offer available among the 5 services listed.
Pros of using Resume Writing Services:
- Consolidated writing team – As mentioned previously, Resume Writing Services is the smallest resume company on our list. This gives them the ability to only hire the best of the best writers to join their team. A potential downside to having such a small team is that you may not get a writer who specializes specifically in your field if you are in a less popular industry.
- Unlimited Revisions – Along with other resume services, they offer unlimited revisions (though they don’t specify the duration of it)
- Modern approach – Having only been founded a couple years ago, they have a more modern and up-to-date approach with handling applicant tracking systems and formatting their resumes.
- Pricing: $199-$399
- Turnaround time: 4-5 days
- Writer Count: Unknown
- Unique Features: One of the longest lasting resume services, has a separate Federal & Military package
CareerPerfect has been around for more than 20 years now and offers their resume services in the form of 4 separate options to choose from: Student &Entry Level, Professional & Mid-Career, Executive, and Federal & Military.
With so much experience under their belt, this service has helped many job seekers advance their careers. Their team is also made up of only US-based writers with at least a 4-year degree. Their company is also a part of the National Employment Counseling Association and has a heavier focus on other aspects of the job search process besides just resume writing.
If you need free career planning tests or career planning advice, Career Perfect likely beats out on most other resume services on the list that specialize on just resume writing.
Pros of using CareerPerfect:
- Editing Service – They offer a resume editing service as well that many other resume services don’t have as an option
- Free InterviewSmart Software – When working with CareerPerfect you are automatically given a free trial version of their leading interview-coaching program that goes over strategies for preparing for your job interview
- Lifetime Storage – Your job documents are stored in a personalized resume writing center
- Pricing: $179-$349
- Turnaround time: 7 to 14 days
- Writer Count: 1,500+
- Unique Features: Has a monthly payment option, 60-Day Guarantee, free resume review
No list is complete without mentioning one of the largest resume services in the US in 2022. TopResume is a very well-established company and has been mentioned on many of the top online media outlets on the web.
They also have a very large team of resume writers, meaning they are the best equipped to match you with a suitable writer that knows your industry – this is especially true if you work in a less popular field (they cover over 65 industries). One of the potential downsides of being such a large company with 1500+ writers is that this may dimmish their hiring standards and quality control.
Similar to ResumeGo, they have 3 resume packages to choose from, starting with their Professional Growth package at $179 and ending with their Executive Priority package at $349.
Pros of using Resume Writing Services:
- Affirm – For job seekers financially struggling, TopResume offers a monthly payment option
- Keyword optimized – As mentioned previously, Resume Writing Services is the smallest resume company on our list. This gives them the ability to only hire the best of the best writers to join their team.
- Formatted for success – True to their name, TopResume emphasizes their strength of formatting their resumes to get employer’s attentions
- 60-Day Guarantee – TopResume has a 60-day guarantee where if you don’t receive 2 times more interviews within 60 days, they will rewrite your resume free-of-charge.
- Pricing: $99-299
- Turnaround time: 3 Business Days
- Writer Count: Unknown
- Unique Features: Has a resume builder, super quick delivery speed, offers other career resources
LiveCareer is a one-stop shop for all career needs and have helped countless job seekers further their careers. While they are primarily a resume builder site that focuses on resume formatting, they do offer resume writing services in the form of 3 main packages: Entry, Professional, and Executive.
LiveCareer’s main headquarter is in New York City, but they have offices around the world making them a more global company than many of the other resume services listed.
Pros of using LiveCareer:
- Fast Delivery – With a 3 business day turnaround, LiveCareer is the fastest service on our list for getting resumes written for job seekers who might have very demanding job application deadlines to meet.
- Versatility – LiveCareer doesn’t just offer resume services, there are ton of career resources on their site that are useful for jobseekers such as resume builders, resume templates, job application tools, career advice articles, and salary calculators.
- Personal Service Guarantee – Livecareer has a 60-day guarantee where if you are not satisfied with your final document, you’re allowed one free resume rewrite.
Honorable mentions – along with the 5 resume services listed, here are a list of other services that almost made the list:
- Let’s Eat, Grandma
If you’re a C-suite executive or work for the government, your resume is going to be structured and written very differently from other resumes. Here are separate lists for the best resume writing services to consider in 2022 if you fit one of these categories:
Questions To Ask When Choosing A Resume Service
It can be mind-boggling just how many variables to consider when choosing a resume service. Quality, pricing, fit, guarantees, turnaround-time. There are many factors involved, and before you fork your hard-earned money over to a service you want to be sure you’re getting the real deal. Here are the 3 most important questions you should be having in the back of your mind:
Is this a well-known, reputable company?
A reputable resume service is going to be mentioned and talked about in major news outlets. For instance, we have a press page where we list out the news outlets where we’ve been featured in – such as The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, US News, Yahoo, CNBC, Huffington Post, etc.
Chances are, if the resume service you’re considering is reputable and featured on the web as well, they’ll be sure to mention it on their website somewhere – so be on the lookout.
Are their professional resume writers qualified?
At the end of the day, you care about quality. To ensure that, the actual person writing your resume has to be qualified. If a resume company doesn’t give some mention of who their writers are and their qualifications, then stay away. Most companies will have a resume writers page. This is where you can get a sense of their backgrounds and their certifications.
What am I getting with my money?
Every resume company is going to package their services a little differently. Some offer guarantees, rewrites, job search guides, LinkedIn makeovers, and all sorts of stuff.
For example, our resume writing service comes with a money back guarantee policy, unlimited revisions for up to 14 days, and a LinkedIn makeover. It’s important to break all these features down yourself so you can figure out exactly what you’re getting with what you pay for.
How much does it cost to have a resume professionally written?
Investing in your career is important, but that doesn’t mean you’ll want to pay more than you have to. To give a sense of price ranges and how much it should cost to use a resume writing service, here’s the quick and easy breakdown:
You should be cautious of resume packages that go for less than $100. But why though?
It’s simple. A single resume takes many hours to write, even for the most efficient writers. A qualified writer with years of experience behind their belt isn’t going to be willing to work for cheap. We’re talking $40-60 per hour minimum. So any service charging less than $100 is likely not hiring qualified writers who are going to be willing to spend the time to making sure your resume is written to perfection.
Between $100 – $500
This is the usually the price range where the best resume services fall into. It’s the industry average and fits into the business models of most resume companies. In fact, pretty much all the resume services we’ve put on our list fit into this price category.
Believe it or not, there are many services that charge over $400 or even over $1000 for a resume. Many of these services write quality resumes, but generally you can get the same quality from services within the $100-400 price range.
There are some unique situations where you might expect to pay more than $400 for a resume. If you’re applying to federal or international job positions where the expectation is to have a 5 page long resume or CV, you should expect to pay these heftier prices.
Signs of a low-quality resume service
There are tons of low-quality resume services all over the place, so it’s going to be super important to learn how to identify them and avoid at all costs. Here’s are 4 ways how:
No one-on-one time with your resume writer
This can’t be stressed up. Resume services that don’t have you communicating one-on-one with your writer over the phone should raise red flags. This is a sign that their writers aren’t confident enough to have a live discussion with you. If they aren’t comfortable talking about what you’ve done, they certainly won’t be comfortable writing about it.
Though not always the case, this also hints that their writers might be based somewhere other than the United States, which is not what you want.
Claims that seem “too good to be true”
There are resume writing services out there who will boast nonsense like “interview guarantee no matter what” or “10x more interviews” or “guaranteed job within 30 days.” Common sense would tell you that these deals are too good to be true, and you know what? – Your common sense would be correct.
While resume services can certainly improve your interview chances and market you as a strong candidate, it’s impossible to guarantee something like interviews and job offers. You’ll need to hire a magician for that!
Extremely low prices
A qualified resume writer with tons of experience isn’t going to be willing work for 10 bucks an hour. Resume services offering resumes for under $100 are likely hiring writers from other countries who don’t have any hiring experience and likely aren’t fluent in English.
For example, you’ll definitely want to avoid getting your resume written on Fiverr, despite what seems like amazingly great deals from them